Skip to content

Dec 12 2022

Winter Holiday Hazards

[vc_column_text]The holidays seem to get busier every year, more people to visit with, less time to relax and less time to spend with your fur-babies. In the crazy rush of it all it’s hard to forget that our animals can be just as stressed during this time of year.

Loud noises and party create stress for not just us humans: Be sure to be aware of your pets needs and stay aware of how they react to the loud noises at the party. Most animal tend to become frightened with loud noises, including Fireworks and even popping the cork off the champagne bottle. We’re not saying don’t enjoy the holidays, just be aware and responsible of your pets anxiety. If the party is being hosted at your home, maybe keep the pets in a quiet room away from the party and indoors while those fireworks go off. Make sure to leave them plenty of water and perhaps something (like a kong filled w/ peanut butter or a nice yummy bone) to keep them busy while you dance into the new year.

Make sure your pet has proper Identification: I/D tags with your pet’s name, address, and a phone number just in case Uncle Rick accidentally lets them outside. Microchips are very helpful in these situations, in case your pet does get lost in this big world, this is a good guarantee that if someone does find your dog without it’s tags, they still have a way to find out who the dog belongs to and who to contact to get the baby home to it’s family.

Holiday Food Dangers: Though we all love to share with our four-legged friends, try to refrain from giving them the scraps. Try making holiday treats to give to your pets while you enjoy your meal. Keep them away from the chocolates and alcohols. Fatty or spicy can cause serious Gastro-intestinal upset, so avoid giving Fido the plate to clean. Foods sweetened with Xylitol can be very dangerous and should be avoided at all costs to avoid medical costs. Bones bought at the pet store are much safer than the leftovers anyways!

Watch out for that TREE!: Holiday decor such as Christmas trees are extremely tempting for many of our canine friends, but the felines love to climb them as well. Be sure to have the tree anchored down and keep an eye on your pets as they enjoy the holidays. If you have a live Christmas tree in your home, make sure your pet’s don’t drink the water as it can be extremely toxic. Balloons, streamers, party hats or confetti can also cause intestinal damage and/or obstructions if ingested.

Holly & Mistletoe: When you haul out the holy & mistletoe, be sure it’s out of reach for your canine & feline friends! Both these decorative plants can cause moderate to severe gastrointestinal upset (drooling, lip smacking, vomiting, diarrhea, & abdominal pain)
When ingested in large amounts, mistletoe can also cause an abnormal heart rate, collapse, hypotension (low blood pressure), ataxia (walking drunk), seizures and death have also been reported in very extreme cases. To be on the safe side, keep your mistletoe out of reach of your dogs and cats during the holidays. If you suspect your pet has ingested mistletoe, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.

Ice Melts, not good to eat & not good for feet!: Ice melts are commonly used around entryways and sidewalks and the containers that are filled with these products are often left within a pet’s reach. There are numerous formulations available, many of which contain salt (sodium chloride), and small exposures typically lead to stomach upset and dermal and/or paw pad irritation. Larger ingestion may quickly cause salt poisoning which can result in a rapid onset of vomiting, excessive thirst and seizures.[/vc_column_text]

atlanticvet | Holidays

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *